Tuesday, October 27, 2009

My take on The Time Traveler's Wife

The Book = A romantic adventure, inspiring and reflective. A great love story that has passion, depth and a tremendous sense of longing. 

You Know, things that you feel when you're painfully in love.      

The Movie = A rushed and uninspired piece of crap.  

So Kristn and I went to see "The Time Traveler's Wife" at the $3.00 movie theater in Tamarac this past Sunday.  We were adivised not to see it but I enjoyed the book so much that I just couldn't help my self. I wanted to see the charectors come to life on the screen.

From the very 1st scene the movie is all wrong.  I don't understand why it is that when screenwriters, directors and producers set out to make an adaptation of a book they more often than not suck the life out of it and deliver a mangled cliff notes version of the story.  At what point do you start cutting for time at the expense of actually delivering a finished product that's worth watching.

Don't get me wrong, you can't bring every word off the page and on to the screen, but if your goal is to make a love story with a fantastic premise such as a girl who 1st meets her future husband at age 6 while he's 39 because he's traveling through time unwillingly, then don't you think you might want to give the story a little breathing room so that the audience might have some time to get attached to the charectors and to possibly give a shit as to what might happen to them? Just Sayin'.

It's truly a shame. There was an opertunity there to turn this film Into a Titanic sized love story. There was so much depth left out that could've made this such a great film, Instead what was made was this steaming pile of turd that requires such a leap of faith to make it work that you really just can't buy into it. You just don't give a shit about anyone in this film, it truly plays out like an extended postcard of a sunny beach that's says "Wish you were here!" when it should say "I wish you were here becuase life sucks so much with out you that even the sun just dosen't shine as bright as It once did when you stood next to me." 

I think you get me. I'm dissapointed. I wasn't expecting much, but I was expecting better. You had Brad Pitt as one of the Producers, Bruce Joel Rubin, the same screen writer who wrote the screen play for "Ghost", and Rachel McAdams... Hello! The Notebook! WTF! Then again it was directed by Robert Schwentke who directed "Flightplan"... yeah I didn't see it either so maybe that's part of the problem.

Bottom line, don't see this movie, remove it from your netflix cue, head over to Amazon, your Kindle or your nearest B&N or Borders and buy the book and enjoy. 

Joe

Posted via email from Joe Shockley's Data & Sound

No comments: